Jail Screening Specialist | 3rd Shift
Description & Responsibilities
The Jail Screening Specialist is a professional position responsible for conducting interviews and assessments of inmates in Milwaukee County detention facilities. The Jail Screening Specialist provides a detailed and objective report to the Court, Prosecution and Defense to assist in the bail decision. This includes the defendant’s assessed risk level, and recommendations related to bail and release conditions. The Jail Screening Specialist also assists in the process of releasing individuals from custody to pretrial supervision and in providing more in depth assessment to identify individuals who may be eligible for a Deferred Prosecution Agreement (DPA).
There is a $4,000 shift differential for working 3rd shift
- Bachelor’s degree in Criminal Justice, Social Work, Psychology, or related human service field required.
- Must obtain Pretrial Service Practitioner Certification following one year of employment.
- Knowledge and understanding of the goals and objectives of pretrial services and the court rules governing pretrial release.
- Computer literacy including working knowledge and experience of Windows and word processing, as well as data entry experience (Microsoft Word & Access)
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule, including weekend hours
- Applied knowledge and understanding of criminal justice process is an asset
- Experience in motivational interviewing techniques preferred
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- High level of skill in organization and attention to detail and accuracy as well as ability to handle multiple tasks at one time
- Ability to work independently
- Demonstrated ability to work well with individuals from diverse economic, racial, and ethnic backgrounds
- Fluency in Spanish, spoken and written, preferred
- Valid Wisconsin driver’s license and automobile with insurance required
- Pre-employment background check, conducted by the Milwaukee County Sheriff’s department, is required
- Complete pretrial risk assessments for arrestees booked into the CCF-C by conducting complete and accurate criminal history and record checks using the Criminal Justice Information System (CJIS), and Consolidated Court Automation Programs (CCAP) and any other appropriate information systems.
- Conduct face-to-face interviews with newly arrested inmates being held in lieu of bail within restricted and confined areas of the Milwaukee County Correctional Facility-Central.
- Verify information obtained during interviews and further investigate all aspects
- of the defendant which are relevant to the setting of bail and release conditions.
- Prepare written reports for electronic submission notifying the court of the results of the investigation and risk assessment including recommendations for bail and release conditions based on the use of the Milwaukee County Pretrial Risk Assessment and Praxis instruments.
- Maintain complete, accurate and verified records in the Milwaukee County Pretrial Services Information System that document and support activity necessary related to program goals, objectives and outcomes
- Complete LSI-R (Level of Service Inventory-Revised) Risk and Needs assessments to determine individuals eligibility for Early Intervention/Deferred Prosecution Agreements (DPA).
- Assist in the process of releasing individuals from custody to pretrial supervision.
- Agreement to abide by and subscribe to the mission, vision and culture of JusticePoint
- Permanent full-time with benefits
- Reports to 3rd Shift Supervisor